Everyone enjoys the holidays with all the family traditions, decorating and of course, the food. But once the festivities have ended it is now time to pack up all the decorations to enjoy the following year. Holiday storage boxes begin to add up. Instead of shoving them in closets or taking up precious space in the garage this year, try the convenience of a self storage unit.
Most holiday decorations can easily be tucked neatly away in a 5×5 or 5×10 unit and for those who want to combine it with their patio furniture, a 10×10 will fill all your seasonal needs! As an added bonus, if you have a particularly curious family member, you can hide your special gifts! North Valley Self Storage has great long term specials so call today!
Below are some great suggestions that will make your holiday decorations last from year to year.
- Use egg cartons to store tiny ornaments and re-use tissue paper for fragile ornaments.
- Purchase a Crystal Protection Kit which includes a divided box and padding for delicate items. This works great for keeping ornaments together and organized! We have these for sale along with Dish Packs for your holiday dishes.
- Food based decorations must be stored in plastic Ziploc bags and placed in an airtight container to protect them from the elements and also to keep rodents out.
- Keep a small box (or try re-using a shoe box!) near your ornaments to store hangers. Fill it with any supplies you use each year when hanging your decorations.
GARLANDS & WREATHS:
- Garlands seem bulky but they can be squished into a big box or garbage bag and fluffed out again when you re-hang them.
- Use garlands as a stuffing around twinkle lights to help protect them.
- Purchasing wreath boxes is a great idea to help keep them safe because they are often difficult to pack in a normal box. Alternately, placing wreaths in a plastic garbage bag and hanging them on a wall with adhesive hooks is effective and inexpensive.
- Place delicate items or a bundle of lights in the center of wreaths to protect them.
- Use empty wrapping paper tubes to wind up the lights as you take them down. Tape the ends. Store in a large plastic bag. You can even place small ornaments inside the tube!
- Cut cardboard boxes down (if you can, measure them to fit inside of a specific box to use over and over again!) and wrap the twinkle lights around them. Cut slits at the corners to secure the end pieces.
- Install a tension rod across the shortest length of your storage unit. Wrap twinkle lights around hangers to keep them from tangling and also for a quick unravel when it’s time to hang them again! You can also use the rod to hang any wreaths or linens you may need to store.
- For shorter strands or battery operated lights, wind them in a circle and place in a plastic bag.
- Fold special holiday linens over hangers and place in garment bags (or make your own with trash bags!). Place adhesive hooks on the walls of the storage unit and keep linens virtually wrinkle free!
- Keep all you holiday cards from each year by punching holes in them and looping them together with a ring or ribbon. Enjoy looking at them each year!
- If you have special candles or candle holders for the holidays, don’t let them get scratched or banged up each year. Instead, place them inside of old socks! You can often get holiday socks on clearance for cheap.